We can all agree that there is a barrier to entering the crypto space. It can often be overwhelming between the different private keys you need to save, apps you may have to download, and transactions you have to send. Luckily, we are here to break down the process of buying an NFT on Stacks step by step. We’ll explain it like you’re someone who has never heard of “that Bitcoin thing,” so if that’s you, keep reading. Let’s go!
It’s important to note that you will need both a laptop/desktop computer and a smartphone to make this process as simple as possible.
Hiro Wallet is the most widely used Stacks wallet. Adding their Google chrome extension will allow you to set up a Stacks wallet and interact with the network. Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to set up your Hiro wallet
- The first step is to go into google chrome and follow this link https://www.hiro.so/wallet. On this website, click “Install the extension.” You will be sent to the chrome store, where you will follow all the prompts. Click “Add to Chrome” on the top right. A prompt will pop up, giving Hiro access to your Chrome account. This is OK; Hiro is a commonly used wallet and will not be able to access your private information-click “Add Extension”. Lastly, click “Allow” to give Hiro access to anonymous data from your account
- You have now installed a Hiro wallet. You now need to set up your personal wallet. Click “I’m new to Stacks” when the prompt comes up.
You will be sent to a page with your private 24-word phrase. It is important to keep this phrase somewhere safe and to NEVER lose it. This is your private key and will be the only way to log back into your wallet if you lose access to your current device. We recommend writing it down, but Hiro allows you to copy-paste this phrase into a document of your choice.
Next, you will be asked to set a password for your wallet. Again, make this a strong password and if you write it down, make sure it is somewhere safe.
- Just like that, you now officially have a STX address. Your full address is listed just under the title “Account 1”. This is the address you will send STX to. The two little squares to the right of your address allow you to copy it. Now you need to buy some STX and send it to this wallet.
- Create strike account: Provide email and enter code sent to your email, enter a simple username, enter a phone number and verify, Enter legal name, DOB, address, SSN, take a photo of a license, confirm all details.
- Verification of account should only take a few minutes but may take up to 24 hours of manual verification is needed.
- Tap Bitcoin logo on the bottom of screen-> buy, enter an amount(one time purchase), next, confirm,
- Go to https://www.kucoin.com/ucenter/signup?rcode=r3VQJ9K follow steps-> enter email, go to email and copy code, paste code into Kucoin, set password, referral code should be filled in. Account should be created.
- Click assets top right, deposit, select bitcoin, go-to QR code next to address, scan code in strike app by going to bitcoin symbol, send symbol top right and the select amount you want to send, click confirm. The deposit can be tracked by going to deposit and withdrawal history on the top right of the assets page.
- Once BTC arrives in Kucoin, transfer from the main account to the trading account by clicking the main account, transfer in bitcoin row, transfer from main to trading.
- Instant transfer, go to the top left of the page next to the Kucoin logo and click markets, search STX, go to STX?BTC pair
- Will be sent to market, prompted to create a trading password, follow the steps to create a password.
- Once set up, go back to markets and to STX/BTC pair. Small text says limit order; you can set a limit order at a price you are willing to pay or click market buy to buy instantly, choose % of BTC you want to use
- You now have STX, go back to assets, trading account, transfer STX from the trading account to main. Go to the main account, next to STX, click withdraw
- Open Hiro wallet by going to your plugins on the top right of your browser and entering your password. Account will open, copy your wallet address and paste into Kucoin where it says address. Select STX network(only option), no memo required, leave blank, can also leave remarks blank.
- Enter the amount you want to send and click confirm, will be sent to a confirmation page; make sure details are correct, and confirm again
- Lastly, you will need to enter your trading password(6 digits) and the text message or email confirmation code.
- The STX will arrive in your wallet shortly!
There are three STX NFT marketplaces. Stxnft, Stacks Art, and Byzantion. We prefer Byzantion because they aggregate all the NFTs listed on the other markets into one common marketplace. Go to the site and click connect wallet at the top right of the screen in blue. Your Hiro wallet pop-up should open. Select your account, and you are now connected. Browse the collections and pick a piece you like! When you click to buy, your Hiro wallet extension will pop up on the screen with details of the transaction. If everything looks good, scroll down and click confirm. Just like that, you have bought your first NFT on stacks! The piece may take a few minutes to confirm in your wallet.
Once the transaction has been confirmed, you can see all of your NFTs on Byzantion by hovering over your wallet address and clicking “my gallery.” From there, you can list your pieces for Sale.
There are a number of different exchanges you can use to buy STX, and we have tried most of them. These include Binance, Kucoin, Gate, OKCoin, Uniswap, and more.
We believe that OKCoin provides the most secure while also allowing for a fast and seamless transaction! If you already have cryptocurrency, send your crypto to any of the exchanges that have STX trading pairs and trade for Stacks. If you want to buy STX with US dollars, here’s a breakdown of the steps.
- Head to this link https://www.okcoin.com/join?channelId=600152847 This is a referral that will allow you to receive $50 in free Bitcoin if you buy more than $100 worth of STX
- Input your email and create a password
- You will then be asked for a six-digit code sent to your email. The email should arrive in seconds. Go to your email, get the code, and type it in.
- Next, you will need to verify your account. Select “Verify as an Individual”; you will be sent to a page asking for your identification information, including your SSN. This information is required for cryptocurrency exchanges to obtain and is the norm. Input your information and click “Confirm.”
- Your verification should occur instantly, and you will be set to go!
- The process is fairly straightforward from here. Go to your Okcoin homepage and click “Buy Crypto” on the top right of the screen.
- The selected currency will default to Bitcoin, click the Bitcoin symbol to change currencies, search for “Stacks,” and select STX. Next, Input the dollar amount of Stacks you would like to buy and click “Review Order.”
- You will be sent to a checkout page. Click “Add a payment method” to link any bank account. If you use online banking, the process is as simple as logging into your account. Link your bank account, ensure the details are correct and click “Place Your Order.”
- You have now purchased Stacks and just need to send it to your Hiro wallet to interact with the Stacks ecosystem.
- From your Okcoin homepage, scroll over “Assets” on the top right and head down to “Withdrawal.”
- You will be sent to your main withdrawal homepage. Search for “Stacks” to select STX as the currency you wish to withdraw
- You will then be asked to verify your phone number and create a trading password. Follow the prompts from Okcoin to complete these steps.
- Once complete, you will select “On Chain” as the withdrawal method, and “Stacks Network” will be the withdrawal network; click “Continue”
- Next, you will need to input your STX wallet address. Head to your Hiro wallet, copy your STX address, and paste it into the “STX address” slot on Okcoin
- You do not need a memo when sending to your Hiro wallet, so you can leave that box blank.
- Select the amount of STX you would like to withdraw and click “Continue.”
- You will be asked to confirm your withdrawal and input your 2FA code. Insert those details and send the Stacks. Your STX is now on its way to your Hiro wallet! It may take some time to receive, but once the transaction is confirmed, you will be able to buy any NFTs on the Stacks network.
This can be a time-consuming and tedious process if you are new to crypto, but it will definitely be worth it! Any future transactions you make on Okcoin will be much smoother. As always, our DMs are always open, and feel free to ask questions here.